Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The BEST vegetarian sandwich...ever!

Took me: 5 minutes in the kitchen, total
Over the past four years that I've been a vegetarian, I've found that it is incredibly hard to find a good vegetarian sandwich when you eat out. Unless of course you're at a sandwich shop. But I think even Subway's offerings of vegetarian sandwiches is pathetic. I saw a Seventeen Magazine years ago that had a picture of a sandwich similar to this, but never tried making one until now. It uses pesto instead of other condiments to give it an extremely satisfying, unique taste.
What you need: 
1-2 tablespoons of pesto sauce
2 slices dark rye bread
a handful of cherry tomatoes (regular tomatoes work, but I prefer cherry tomatoes for their crispiness)
Several leaves of lettuce
Pinch or clover sprouts
four slices cheese (here I used cheddar and pepper jack, but it tastes great with swiss and american too!)
Three slices avocado
6 thin slices of cucumber

Toast your bread for a few minutes. Do it longer than you would to heat it up, but less time than you would if you were making actual toast. Take it out and spread the pesto onto one slice. On the other slice, lay down your avocado slices and spread them over the toast with a butter knife. I think they taste better this way than simply laying on the sandwich. Then layer on your cheese, cucumber, tomatoes, and lettuce. Top with a pinch of the sprouts then place the other slice of bread over the top. Cut it in half, get yourself a glass of ice water, relax and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment